Since you have applied for the UPSC Exams 2018 session, it’s must to know about the newly introduced syllabus and pattern of UPSC Prelim exam. All the UPSC aspirants who are appearing this test should be starting their preparation, and the very first step here is to know all the topics.
For our readers, we are covering following UPSC prelim 2018 syllabus in this blog.
Why you need to Know UPSC Prelim Syllabus
Before getting you to the details here are few tips to make the preparation for this tough exam a little easy –
You must be knowing a huge number of people every year appear for the exam, but only some thousands are able to clear it, it does not mean that the UPSC Prelim is really a tough nut to crack, it happens because most people apply, but they do not prepare well, many prepare with wrong syllabus or books and many people who have been trying the last couple of year do not bother to know about the changes in the new pattern or syllabus; this eventually becomes a reason for many to fail in the pre-exam of UPSC.
LATEST UPSC PRELIMS – PATTERN & SYLLABUS FOR 2018
In this table, we have listed the complete overview of UPSC Prelim Exam Pattern –
|Exam Papers||Time Allotted||Number of questions||Maximum Score|
|Paper 1 – UPSC General Studies: You are required to clear this exam to appear for mains.||2 Hours||100||200|
|Paper II – UPSC Aptitude: Its mandatory to score at least 33% in this test to become eligible for the mains but the score of this particular test would not be counted in mains.||2 Hours||80||200|
UPSC PRELIMS SYLLABUS FOR THE YEAR 2018
As stated above in the table there will be 2 different tests namely General Studies and Aptitude aka’ CSAT (Civil Services Aptitude Test) in the prelim. The topic wise details for this exams are stated below:-
UPSC Paper 1 – General Studies Syllabus
- Current affairs – global and national both.
- History – Mainly everything about India including Indian National Movement.
- Geography- On global and national parameters study these aspects- Economic Geography, Social, Physical of India and the world
- Indian Polity/Governance –Public Policy, Panchayati Raj, Political system, Constitution, Rights issues.
- Economic/Social development –demographics, poverty, sustainable development,social sector initiatives, inclusion etc.
- General issues on environmental ecology, Climate change andBio-diversity -that do not require subject specialization
- Science (General)
- Comprehension and Analysis
- Questions relating to English Language Comprehension skills of Highschool/10th Level. (passages from English language will be there only/No Hindi translation is given.)
- English Language Comprehension skills (Class 1oth or Highschool level)
- Basic numeracy (orders of magnitude, numbers and their relations, etc.) (Class 10th level), Data Interpretation (data sufficiency, graphs, charts, tables etc. – Class 10th level)
- Mental ability test (General)
- Interpersonal/Communication skills
- Logical reasoning
- Analytical ability
This is all that you have to prepare for, we wish you best of luck the exam.